Breakfast Bird Nests
Here’s what you need…
- 4 large, round tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices organic, nitrate-free turkey bacon, chopped
- dash of dried oregano, plus more for garnish
- optional dash of salt (added salt is not in nutritional analysis)
- dash of pepper
- 4 organic, omega-3, free range eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash tomatoes, slice off the tops and scoop out the insides. Place tomatoes on a pan, and bake for 5 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic. Add onion. Add chopped bacon. Saute for 5 minutes, until mostly cooked. Add the spices and mix well.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Fill each tomato with the bacon mixture, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top of each tomato. Crack an egg into each tomato then sprinkle with oregano. Place in the oven under broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from oven once the top has set, and you’ll have perfectly done over easy eggs.
- For well done eggs: change oven temperature back to 400 degrees F, and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 98 calories, 5g fat, 162mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate, .6g fiber, and 9g protein.
This entry was posted on Monday, March 19th, 2012 at 9:00 pm and is filed under Nutrition, Recipes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.